South West Assessment and Training
We target your training needs
Domestic Periodic Inspection and Testing of Electrical Installations
This in-house qualification deals with the knowledge and practical requirements for those electrical installers who wish to eventually be able to issue Periodic Inspection Reports for domestic properties only.
It does not deal with non-domestic installations or three-phase systems. Anyone wishing to carry out this scope of work should also consider attending the EAL Inspection and Testing course also offered.
Course objectives/key benefits
Provide an understanding of the requirements and procedures of periodic inspection and testing of domestic electrical installations.
Who is the course aimed at?
Electrical installers and operatives who hold a full scope electrical qualification.
Anyone wishing to attend this course but who does not currently hold a full scope electrical qualification, South West Assessment and Training also offer the EAL 18th Edition training course.
Anyone undertaking this course must hold a 18th Edition electrical qualification>.
For anyone new to electrical work, or who would like to update their knowledge and skills, it is highly recommended that they undertake the Basic Electrics course prior to this course.
For anyone needing to update their existing qualification, South West Assessment and Training also offer a one-day update course.
- Initial Inspection & Testing and Verification of Electrical Systems - The General Requirements - Scope - Safety - Frequency of subsequent inspections - Inspector's qualifications - Information for the Inspector
- Initial Inspection - General procedure - Scope - Detailed visual inspection
- Initial Testing - Completion and inspection certificate
- Periodic Inspection & Testing - The General Requirements - Scope - Requirement for periodic inspection and testing - Frequency of periodic inspection and testing - Inspector's qualifications - Information for the Inspector
- Periodic Inspection - General procedure - Scope - Detailed visual inspection
- Periodic Testing - Sequence of tests - Detailed periodic testing - Periodic inspection and testing report
- Reference Tests for Initial and Periodic Testing - The Sequence of Tests
- Continuity of Protective Conductors - Continuity of protective conductors main and supplementary bonding - Continuity of ring final circuit conductors
- Insulation Resistance - Site applied insulation
- Protection by Separation of Circuits - Care in use of high voltage - SELV - Functional extra low voltage - Electrical separation
- Protection by Barriers or Enclosures - Protection by barriers or enclosures provided during erection
- Protection by a Non-Conducting Location - lnsulation of non-conducting floors and walls
- Polarity Tests
- Earthing - Earth electrode resistance - Earth fault loop impedance
- Residual Current Operated Devices - Operation of residual current devices
- Test Instrument Requirement and Precautions - Instrument accuracy - Low resistance ohmmeters - Insulation resistance ohmmeters - Applied voltage testers - Earth fault loop impedance testers - Earth electrode resistance testers - R.C.D. testers
Practical workshop and theory
Practical assessment and theory
Candidates who successfully complete the assessment will receive a SWAAT Certificate in Domestic Periodic Electrical Inspection and Testing
Candidates will need to purchase for the course (and should study!);
BS7671: Requirements for Electrical Installations - IEE Wiring Regulations 2008 Amendment No. 3 (ISBN-13: 978-1849197694)
IEE On-Site Guide; BS7671: 2008 incorporating Amendment No. 3 (ISBN-13: 978-1849198875). and
IEE Guidance Note 3: Inspection and Testing (ISBN-13: 978-1849192750)
These are available from electrical wholesalers or bookshops.
Click here to see a list of our course prices